Maintaining the security of your data is important to us at Bible Educational Services (BES), and we are committed to respecting your privacy rights. We are committed to maintaining the trust and confidence of visitors to the BES website and subscribers of our newsletters. We will aim to handle your data fairly and legally at all times. BES is also dedicated to being transparent about what data we collect about you and how we use it.
This policy, which applies whether you visit our website or contact us directly by post or on-line, provides you with information about:
– how we use your data;
– what personal data we collect;
– how we ensure your privacy is maintained; and
– your legal rights relating to your personal data.
How we use your data
Cookies are small data files which are placed on your computer or other devices (such as smart ‘phones or ‘tablets’) as you browse this website. They are used to ‘remember’ when your computer or device accesses our websites. Cookies are essential for the effective operation of our websites and to help you navigate around the site and download any material with us online.
- Information collected:
- What are cookies used for at BES?
The main purposes for which cookies are used are: –
- For technical purposes essential to effective operation of our websites, particularly in relation to on-line downloads and site navigation.
- To enable BES to collect information about your browsing and downloading patterns, including to monitor the success of new material, campaigns, competitions, or information.
- How do I disable cookies?
If you want to disable cookies you need to change your website browser settings to reject cookies. How you can do this will depend on the browser you use. If you disable some cookies, the website may not operate properly if cookies are switched off. If you disable all cookies, you will be unable to complete a download of any material on the site.
When someone visits www.besweb.com we use a third-party service, Google Analytics, to collect standard internet log information and details of visitor behaviour patterns. We do this to find out things such as the number of visitors to the various parts of the site. This information is only processed in a way which does not identify anyone. We do not make, and do not allow Google to make, any attempt to find out the identities of those visiting our website.
As part of the registration process for our quarterly newsletter, we collect personal information. We use that information for a couple of reasons: to provide you with information which you have requested from us; to contact you if we need to obtain or provide additional information; to check our records are right and to check every now and then that you’re happy and satisfied. We will not rent, sell or trade email lists with other organisations and businesses.
We use a third-party provider, MailChimp, to deliver our BES Newsletters. We gather statistics around email opening and clicks using industry standard technologies to help us monitor and improve our e-newsletter. For more information, please see MailChimp’s privacy notice.
You can unsubscribe to general mailings at any time of the day or night by clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any of our emails or by emailing our data protection officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What Personal Data We Collect
BES may collect the following information about you:
- Your name, age/date of birth
- Your contact details – postal address (including telephone numbers) and email address
- other publicly available personal data, including any which you have shared via a public platform (such as a Twitter feed or public Facebook page)
Our website is not intended for children to complete, and any applications for Children’s Bibletime booklets should be completed by an adult.
This list is not exhaustive and, in specific instances, we may need to collect additional data for the purposes set out in this Policy. Some of the above personal data is collected directly, for example when you complete a BES/PBS flyer or an on-line application for BES Resources (Bibletime, NewLife or Gleaners) or send an email to contact us at email@example.com for information. Other data is collected indirectly, for example your browsing or downloading activity. We may also collect personal data when you write to us sending donations and/or specifically request our newsletters, either by email or by post.
Protecting your Data
What you can do to help protect your data:
- If you are using a computing device in a public location, we recommend that you always log out and close the website browser when you complete an online session
- Inform us of any change in your circumstances which may affect the way we communicate with you – for example, change of postal address or email.
What we will do to protect your data:
- Ensure staff are trained and aware of their responsibilities to protect personal data
- Ensure all servers and computers containing data are protected by approved security software, a firewall and strong passwords are regularly updated.
- Take every opportunity to ensure your data is kept up to date and is as accurate as possible.
- Ensure that paper and printouts containing personal data are kept in a secure cabinet.
Sharing Data with our Service Partners
We do not share personal information with other organisations without your knowledge.
When you make an enquiry on our BES website with an application for BES Resources, we will share your data with a suitable PBS (Postal Bible School) so that they can provide you with the most appropriate BES material (Bibletime, NewLife, Gleaners).
To deliver products to you which you request, it is sometimes necessary for BES to share your data outside of the European Economic Area. This will typically occur when you specifically request BES resources from providers located outside of the EEA, for example, if you request Bibletime booklets from BES in Africa, India etc. If this happens, we will ensure that the transfer will be compliant with data protection law and personal data will be secure.
Contact Information / Your Rights
You have the following rights:
- the right to ask what personal data that we hold about you at any time, subject to a fee specified by law (currently £10);
- the right to ask us to update and correct any out-of-date or incorrect personal data that we hold about you free of charge; and
- the right to opt out of any communications that we may send you
- You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office. Further information, including contact details, is available at https://ico.org.uk.
If you have any questions about how BES uses your personal data that are not answered here, or if you want to exercise your rights under GDPR regarding your personal data, please contact us by any of the following means:
- Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or
- write to us at: BES, 37a Belmore Street, Enniskillen. BT74 6AA
This policy was last updated in March 2018.